My House Oatlands
MHO has created a home away from home for the young men, and the home is family governed with the support of SILC. The Board of MHO comprises of the parents of the young men they meet every 3 months with SILC and the House Manager.
Some of the advantages MHO has experienced with their family governed housing model are:
- Employment of own staff which provides consistency and fosters the development of a family unit,
- Individualised goal setting,
- Parental control of recreation activities and community access,
- Cost effectiveness by pooling of funds,
- Every resident has a tailored program including OT, Speech Pathology, Music Therapists etc., and
- Flexible service arrangements.
The two young men have made significant improvements during their time at MHO, in particular with their independence skills. They participate in the general running of the home such as cooking, gardening, cutting the lawns, hanging out the washing and much more. The best thing about MHO is that the young men enjoy being there!